Your photograph is an essential element in your application for a passport. For more information, read the below information about how to submit a quality photo for your passport to avoid delays. The acceptance of your photograph is entirely dependent on the sole discretion of the U.S. passport agency. We recommend that you employ an experienced passport photo service to make sure your photo meets all the criteria. Note: Photos must be 2'' x two inches in size with a background that's uniform simple and white as well as free from shadows.
- Your head must be facing the camera straight with your full face visible.
- You must maintain a neutral face and a natural, even smile with your eyes fully open.
- In clothing that is worn every day
- In the past 6 months
- Choose a simple background of off-white or white
- Sized correctly
- 2 inches x 2 inches (51 x 51 millimeters)
- The head must measure between 1 and 3/8 inches (25 to 35 millimeters) from the top of the chin to the top of the head.
- Printing on glossy or matte photo top-quality paper
- Printing in color
- It is not possible to wear glasses.
- If you are unable to remove your glasses due to medical reasons, be sure to include a written note from your doctor along with the application.
- It is not acceptable to wear a head or hat cover.
- If you are wearing a hat or head cover for religious reasons, provide an official statement signed by you that confirms that the headcover or hat that you are wearing is part of a recognized traditional, clothing for worship that is accepted or is required to be worn constantly in public.
- If you are wearing a hat or head cover to protect yourself from medical conditions, provide an approved doctor's certificate that confirms the hat or headcover on your photograph is worn regularly for medical reasons.
- Your face must be visible, and your hair-covering or hat must not cover your hairline or cast shadows upon your face.
- It is not possible to wear headphones or other wireless devices for hands-free use. Take a look at the examples photos to find some examples of appropriate and unacceptable images. Photos taken digitally or copied of driver's licenses and other government documents aren't acceptable. Additionally, snaps of magazine images or low-quality vending machine or mobile phone images, as well as full-length photos, are not acceptable.
Nonimmigrant Visa Photo Requirements
In addition to the normal requirements, there are conditions for different kinds of visas. Some of the requirements pertaining to US nonimmigrant visa photos include: Candidates who are applying for Form DS-160 could be required to upload a digital image that must meet the requirements for digital photos. In addition to the digital image, you may also need to submit a physical image in accordance with their requirements.
Immigrant Visa Photo Requirements
For those seeking a US immigrant visa to remain in the US, it is required to provide two photos on photo-quality paper that meet the normal US visa requirements for photos.
Diversity Visa Photo Requirements
For those who want to participate in the Diversity Visa (DV) program or the lottery, The photo must comply with the following requirements: It is recommended to upload an image that is digital. The image should be in JPEG format. The image must be square in size and the dimensions must be 600x600 pixels. The photo's size should be 240 kilobytes (kB). If you decide to scan an image from an existing one the image must satisfy these conditions: The resolution of the image should be at least 300 Pixels per Inch (12 millimeters of pixels). If you are chosen for one of the Diversity Visa Programs, you need to bring more pictures that meet the photo requirements to qualify for a US visa.